Bruges Steam Railway Holiday
Friday, 20th August 2021
- Maldegem Stoom Centre narrow, and standard gauge, steam
- A trip to the Netherlands for steam at Goes
- Canal cruising in beautiful Bruges
- Eurostar and Belgian Railways to/from
- Trams and trains in Brussels including Train World Museum
- Belgium’s famous coastal tram
After meeting at St Pancras International we take a late morning Eurostar to Brussels and change trains to Bruges. We’ll transfer to the hotel and then introduce you to your environs by way of a guided walking tour before letting you go and explore this lovely place.
Our day begins with a train ride to Oostende where we connect with the coastal tramway for a modern tram trip up to Knokke. Here we join our coach and head up to the River Schelde. By ferry now, along with hundreds of bicycles, to Vlissingen (Flushing) in the Netherlands. A Dutch Railway ride delivers us to Goes for an afternoon of steam with the Stoomtrein Goes/Borsele. Our route back to Bruges is via the Westerschelde Tunnel.
What a great day we have in store. We rail across to Brussels and tram into the suburbs. At Woluwe is a superb tram museum that is not only full of interesting exhibits but offers action as well with a ride out into the countryside aboard an historic tram. Later, we cross the city bound for Schaerbeek and Belgium’s state of the art Train World Museum – this place is a “must-do” visit – see what you think!
Our steamy holiday highlight is at the nearby Maldegem Railway Centre. We will enjoy the standard gauge line between here and Eeklo as well as having fun with the narrow-gauge line running to a tyre dump! We will then cruise back into town from Damme along the canal on a mock Mississippi Paddle Steamer.
Our final morning is very relaxed allowing a little time for sightseeing/shopping. We’ll also take a delightful canal cruise, with live English commentary, passing the historic buildings and sights. About lunchtime we’ll take a train across to Brussels and connect with a London bound Eurostar to whisk us back to St Pancras by late afternoon.
We have chosen this 4-star hotel on the edge of the town centre as it is close enough to be convenient and yet far enough away to be quiet. It is situated on the t’Zand square which is lined with cafes & restaurants. The opera house is to the right and the station just a short stroll away through the park. The hotel now boasts a restaurant (though you won’t need it!), a bar and a full buffet breakfast is provided.
- All heritage railway rides
- All public transport journeys, in standard class accommodation
- Private coach transfers throughout the holiday
- All entrances
- Detailed itinerary/information pack
- Services of courier throughout
- Hotel accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis
What's not Included
- Travel to/from the holiday start point
- Personal holiday insurance
- Other meals
Let's book your dream holiday!