Buckinghamshire Railway Holiday
Friday, 3rd September 2021
- The Jumbo Express at Whipsnade
- Fascinating Bletchley Park – an enigma!
- Chinnor, and all the way to Princes Risborough, an Inside Track first
- Quainton and Didcot Railway Centres
- Planes and Swiss gardens at the Shuttleworth Collection
- Steamy, narrow-gauge fun in Leighton Buzzard
Meet at Milton Keynes Station about lunchtime, then after an extensive tour of the town (takes 4 minutes!), we are off to enigmatic Bletchley Park – the National Code Breaking Centre. Here is your opportunity for lunchtime refreshments, then to enjoy a guided “walk about”, as well as free time to explore the “huts” individually. Late afternoon we set off for Buckingham and our first evening at Villiers.
Variety is what Inside Track Is all about, and doing unusual things. So, we are off on a great rail journey today – from Bletchley to Bedford – stunning (!), and then a morning at Old Warden for the Shuttleworth Collection (vintage aircraft ‘n cars ‘n stuff!) and the unique Swiss gardens. All this part of a circular tour that now takes us to “local” railways in the Northampton area including the Lamport Steam Railway.
Lots of countryfied steam today, starting at our local railway centre at Quainton. The Buckingham Railway Centre tells the history of the railways in Metroland, has a station repositioned from Oxford, and has main line and miniature steam rides. Later, a lovely rural journey brings us to our local, recently extended, standard gauge railway – The Chinnor and Princes Risborough – lunchtime refreshments here before continuing the lovely drive to Didcot. It is a bonanza today with Quainton & Didcot both included – wot fun!
We are off to the zoo, zoo, zoo – Whipsnade that is. Here, not surprisingly, are many animals to admire and, perhaps surprisingly, a railway from which to see them – The Jumbo Express. After a leg stretch at Ivinghoe Beacon we drop down onto the plains and across to Leighton Buzzard. More steam here, privately chartered, from Pages Park to Stonehenge courtesy of Buzzrail. Another country drive through the leafy lanes of Beds and Bucks delivers back to the hotel.
No “local” holiday in our area would be complete without visiting our Old Gaol in Buckingham, and then our local Grand Union Canal complex at Stoke Bruerne. A museum and cruise on the canal before we set off for Milton Keynes and homeward bound trains after lunch.
- All heritage railway rides
- All public transport journeys, in standard class accommodation
- Private coach transfers throughout the holiday
- All entrances
- Detailed itinerary/information pack
- Services of courier throughout
- Hotel accommodation on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis
What's not Included
- Travel to/from the holiday start point
- Personal holiday insurance
Let's book your dream holiday!