Hants & Dorset Steam Railway Holiday
Thursday, 2nd September 2021
Hants & Dorset Air Show
- View the Bournemouth Air Show from the sea
- Over the Alps with the Mid-Hants Steam Railway
- The thrill of a hovercraft trip to the Isle of Wight
- Cruise aboard the Steam Ship Sheildhall
- Explore the delightful Exbury Gardens
- Military history at Bovington Tank Museum
We meet at Winchester Station around lunchtime and take a country drive to New Alresford for an afternoon of steam travelling over “The Alps” on the Mid-Hants Railway. We should also be able to fit in a visit to the lovely Cathedral District of Winchester before checking in at the Potters Heron.
We will be delighted to treat you to a memorable day on and around the Isle of Purbeck, home to the outstanding Swanage Steam Railway. We rail to Bournemouth, cross on the Sandbanks Chain Ferry to the “island” and explore the line at leisure with options to visit Corfe Castle and Swanage as well. Later, we drive to Bovington for the fascinating Tank Museum before pottering back to the Heron.
Today is frankly amazing! We travel down to Poole and board the S.S. Sheildhall to sail out into the bay and anchor for the day. Whilst thousands line the sea-front for a view of the amazing air show that Bournemouth puts on we are in the heart of it. Refreshments will be provided on board as the various historic and modern aircraft swoop overhead. There is no better way to view this spectacular event.
For our big day out to the Isle of Wight we’re off to the port this morning to join the Red Funnel Ferry sailing across The Solent to Cowes. See the island the Inside Track way with a trip that takes us through charming villages, leafy lanes and shows us the coastal delights as well. Of course we’ll ride the Island Line electric railway and chug and chuff on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway. After a relaxed but fulfilling time we complete our travels via the thrill of a hovercraft ride back to Southsea.
Our last day takes us by ferry to Hythe and a ride on the Victorian electric pier railway. Just down the road is the delightful Exbury Estate with lovely gardens and a steam train running through them. A very pleasant finale before driving to Brockenhurst to start homeward bound journeys early afternoon.
- All heritage railway rides
- All public transport journeys, in standard class accommodation
- Private coach transfers throughout the holiday
- All entrances
- Detailed itinerary/information pack
- Services of courier throughout
- Hotel accommodation on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis
- Lunch on board S.S. Sheildhall
What's not Included
- Travel to/from the holiday start point
- Personal holiday insurance
- Other lunches
Let's book your dream holiday!