Holland and Borkum Steam Railway Holiday
Thursday, 8th July 2021
A Load of Borkum
- Day cruise aboard a privately hired tall ship
- A day trip, with steamy nostalgia, to the German island of Borkum
- Ride Holland’s most famous steam railway and cruise across Ijsselmeer
- Veendam’s “local” steam railway, the “STAR”
- A steam driven windmill and bakery, as well as a canal trip by steamboat
- Fun and frolics at the National Bus Museum
Our adventure begins when we meet at St Pancras in time to catch the mid-morning Eurostar direct to Rotterdam and change into Dutch railways to a place called Veendam – Northern Holland. Veendam is in the middle of nowhere but boasts two railway stations and its focal point is the Parkzicht Hotel, our home for seven days.
We call this day our “Historic Triangle Circular” because using steam train, national railways, and coach we can link three delightful towns called Medemblik, Hoorn and Enkhuizen. This is a highlight day out, during which you can enjoy the dramatic drive over the Afsluitdijk Dam, visit the towns, ride Holland’s most famous steam railway and cruise across Ijsselmeer – wow!
The first of our “local” days will introduce you to a steam driven windmill and bakery, a gorgeous little steamboat & canal trip, and the local railway lines to Roosendaal, Delfzijl and Winschoten. Return to Veendam will be by vintage bus from the local transport museum. All great fun and very “local”.
The joy of this part of Holland (the most densely populated country in Europe) is that there are no crowds up here. Everything and everywhere, is easy going, by the end of today’s itinerary you’ll know what we mean. We will relax with trains, tea/coffee, beers and Dutch cake in “peat country” near Erica. Enjoy steam and narrow gauge railways before pancakes, in a pancake house, at Barger-Compascuum. We finish the day with the local steam railway (STAR), steaming back to Veendam. Our second very “local” day indeed!
We need to do something different today, so here we go – to the German island called Borkum. A lovely boat trip to get there is followed by some classic Inside Track events, including our privately chartered steam train and hauled by “Borkum”, plus an island tour and surprises organized and hosted by our lifelong friend, Wilfried. Another unforgettable day!
Let’s go sailing – and if you have never sailed you are in for a lifetime experience. Our “Schip Koh-i-Noor” will chug out of Harlingen Haven (itself an absolute delight) then once out on the Wadden Sea (flat and not deep!) we will haul up the sails, turn the engine off and sail into heavenly silence. We will sail to the awesome Afsluitdijk Dam (wot we drove over last Friday) and enjoy a meal and unlimited drinks/refreshments on board – like being on a cruise liner – wow!
We return to London today via Brussels, arriving back late afternoon having spent the journey reflecting on a most extraordinary holiday.
- All heritage railway rides
- All public transport journeys, in standard class accommodation
- Private coach transfers throughout the holiday
- All entrances
- Detailed itinerary/information pack
- Services of courier throughout
- Hotel accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis
- Privately chartered Tall Ship with lunch on board
What's not Included
- Travel to/from the holiday start point
- Personal holiday insurance
- Other meals
Let's book your dream holiday!