London Steam Railway Holiday
Thursday, 6th May 2021
- London highlights include the Eye, the Airline, and the Thames Clippers
- Heritage trains and buses in Epping Forest
- Steam “Over the Alps” at the Mid Hants Rly
- Charming Chilterns attractions such as Beckonscot Model Village
- A behind the scenes tour at Lords Cricket Ground – howzat!
- The Post Office Tunnels Railway
This is a lovely, easy going start. We meet at Gerrards Cross Station early afternoon, check in, then we are off to Chalfont. The very best electrified branch line awaits – to Chesham and back amid Chiltern countryside! Our afternoon continues to Beckonscot – a truly remarkable place and the world’s oldest model village.
Well, well, well (that’s 3 more holes in the ground! – as they say!), but gawd blimey, we are going to be bowled over unless we keep a good eye in! So, – to London we go for the London Eye, Post Office Tunnels and, don’t you know (!), Lords Cricket Ground. You’ll want to go home tomorrow ‘cos this day cannot be bettered.
Oh but it can! – to an Ongar world for an Epping experience! By train to Marylebone, then the “overground” to Stratford and an underground train (that isn’t!) to Epping. Heritage abounds with vintage buses, diesels and “Ongar vapeur” all amid the splendour of Epping Forest. We then reverse the journey to Stratford, take the Docklands driverless light railway to Royal Victoria Dock and “fly” with Emirates over the Thames by cable car to the O2 (dome). An epic day concludes cruising the Thames via Tower Bridge and all the sights to Waterloo and rail back to Gerrards Cross. Can this be bettered?
Only joking! – of course it can, as we set off to the home of motor racing and aviation – Brooklands, of course, and now the home of the best bus/transport museum in the whole of Chertsey! Ever had a Great Cockrow experience?! Then join us for one at the most incredible small gauge railway in the world. Enough to make your eyes water! Next is the Watercress Line “over the Alps” between Alton and Alresford.
A lovely last morning aboard our privately chartered Salters Steamer (that doesn’t!) to Windsor. On board will be a buffet to enjoy during the best Thames cruise. Homeward bound journeys commence from Gerrards Cross early afternoon.
- All heritage railway rides
- All public transport journeys, in standard class accommodation
- Private coach transfers throughout the holiday
- All entrances
- Detailed itinerary/information pack
- Services of courier throughout
- Hotel accommodation on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis
- Buffet lunch on the Thames
What's not Included
- Travel to/from the holiday start point
- Personal holiday insurance
- Other lunches
Let's book your dream holiday!