Norfolk Steam Railway Holiday
Friday, 27th August 2021
North Norfolk & Nene
- Rolling hills and the sea seen from the North Norfolk Railway
- Victoriana and a Wurlitzer performance at Fabulous Thursford
- Into aircraft? Duxford is surely the best
- A serene cruise on Rutland Water
- A “posh” day including the Nene Valley Rly
- Into the heart of Norfolk with the Mid Norfolk Railway
We all meet up in the cathedral city of Ely about lunchtime with time to wander the quaint, historic centre of this “fen island”. A stop at Welney for the wildfowl follows and then a rural route up to Kings Lynn.
The Mid Norfolk Railway, running from East Dereham, has a truly rustic feel, watch out for deer, rabbits, and birds of prey. Lunchtime is spent in Wymondham where you might like to visit the towering abbey. Then it’s time to get among the flowers at Bressingham Gardens. Three steam railways, Dads Army, a carousel, and you can even buy a rockery!
A super circular day out starts with a drive, via Stamford, to Rutland Water where we enjoy a relaxing cruise aboard the Rutland Belle. Then it’s our ‘Posh’ event as we head for the outskirts of Peterborough and the Nene Valley Railway. This is a major attraction with multiple stations, a large collection of engines and a “proper” rail journey experience. Our route back to Kings Lynn is by coach and rail via St Ives and the guided bus-way to Cambridge where the driver forgets to use the steering wheel – a very unusual experience!
The best of North Norfolk is enjoyed today as we are off to the seaside – well almost! The Wells & Walsingham and North Norfolk Railways provide contrasting steamy delights for us amid the rolling farmland and coastal scenery. Then, how’s this for variety? At Thursford there are shiny showman’s engines galore, mechanical organs playing, a fairground roundabout to ride and the coup de grace, a remarkable live Wurlitzer performance.
We rail from Kings Lynn to Whittlesford and transfer to nearby Duxford. The Imperial War Museum makes for a fantastic finale. There are numerous historic aircraft displayed in the various hangers and don’t be surprised if planes are landing and taking off whilst we are there. Homeward bound journeys commence after lunch from nearby Cambridge.
- All heritage railway rides
- All public transport journeys, in standard class accommodation
- Private coach transfers throughout the holiday
- All entrances
- Detailed itinerary/information pack
- Services of courier throughout
- Hotel accommodation on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis
What's not Included
- Travel to/from the holiday start point
- Personal holiday insurance
Let's book your dream holiday!