Northern Ireland Steam Railway Holiday
Thursday, 16th September 2021
Enterprising to Ulster
- 1st Class experiences aboard the Enterprise Express (pictured left)
- A day across the border, for steam and heritage railways, in Eire
- The Mountains of Mourne, Antrim Coast and the Giant’s Causeway
- A special visit to Downpatrick and Co Down Railway
- The superb Ulster Folk & Transport Museum
- Fun at the Belfast and County Down Miniature Railway
We meet at Holyhead in time for the afternoon sailing to Dublin Port. Here we have arranged for your luggage to be transported north so that you can enjoy to the full the journey between the two capitals aboard The Enterprise Express. TRAVEL IS IN FIRST CLASS AND INCLUDES YOUR EVENING MEAL EN ROUTE. A short journey to Dunadry should see us settled in by about 21.45.
There are so many lovely trips to make it is difficult to know where to start. Perhaps, after a late arrival on Thursday, we should stay “local” today. So, we will take a coach trip up to Larne, then rail via Whitehead, Carrickfergus, and Belfast to Bangor. Near here we will have plenty of time for the main attraction of the day – the superb Ulster Folk and Transport Museum – truly one of the best of its type in the British Isles. Later we rail and coach back to Antrim.
We head for the border today, enjoying a scenic journey through the Sperrin Mountains on our way to Fintown in Co Donegal. Enjoy lunch (included) then a loch side, and extremely rustic, rail ride with the Fintown Railway before we head to Londonderry. On the way (sort of!) we will stop at Oakfield Park for the Difflin Lake Railway and some time to enjoy the estate’s beautiful gardens. Then, from Londonderry, we take NI Railways most scenic route back to Antrim.
Back to the station this morning for a rail journey from Antrim, via Belfast, to Lisburn – the finest surviving railway station in Northern Ireland. From here we are into Co Down to enjoy a couple of hours of scenic touring through the Mourne Mountains. The tour ends in Downpatrick where we find the inimitable Downpatrick and Co Down Railway. Special arrangements here will ensure we enjoy to the full the only standard (5’3”) gauge preserved railway in all Ireland. Our return journey to Antrim will be great fun because our day is not complete until we have visited Northern Ireland’s friendliest railway – The Belfast and County Down Miniature Railway – you will love it!
Have we saved the best till last? – join us to find out as we head north by train to Portrush. From here our Antrim Coast Tour includes the Giant’s Causeway (a World Heritage Site), the reinstated Giant’s Causeway Tramway, the Bushmills Visitor Centre, and the scary Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge – optional of course!
You will probably have been excited all week in anticipation of our return “Enterprise” to Dublin. Again, it is first class (of course), enjoying a full Irish Breakfast in real comfort as the scenery whizzes by. Back in Dublin with a little time to spare we will do something in Eire before catching the early afternoon boat back to Holyhead.
- All heritage railway rides
- All public transport journeys, in standard class accommodation
- Private coach transfers throughout the holiday
- Ferry travel to/from Ireland
- Luggage transfers between Dublin Port and hotel
- All entrances
- Detailed itinerary/information pack
- Services of courier throughout
- Hotel accommodation on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis
- One evening meal and one breakfast on board the Enterprise Express
- Lunch by the side of a loch
What's not Included
- Travel to/from the holiday start point
- Personal holiday insurance
- Other porterage
- Other lunches
Let's book your dream holiday!