Northumbrian Steam Railway Holiday
Friday, 21st May 2021
- A first ever Inside Track visit to the Aln Valley Railway
- Culture and scenery on Lindisfarne
- Borders steam – the Heatherslaw Railway
- England’s finest open-air museum – Beamish
- More railways included with Tanfield and the Stephenson Museum
- Wizardly castle and gardens in Alnwick
We meet at Alnmouth Station at lunchtime and this afternoon will be a very local one. Nearby is Alnwick Castle and Gardens, both of which are internationally renowned. We’ll do a guided tour of the castle to discover it’s long and interesting history and allow time to explore the wonderful gardens. Late in the afternoon we check in to the Hog’s Head for our first relaxing evening – wizardry indeed!
By rail this morning to Newcastle where we join the Metro for a trip out into the suburbs. Here is the excellent Stephenson’s Museum at which, apart from time for the exhibits, we will enjoy a steam train ride from Percy Main. Later we head to the hills for the Tanfield Railway and a steamy time in an authentic north-eastern atmosphere including Causey Arch – the oldest railway bridge in the world! Fully steamed up we meander back up to the Hog’s Head.
A very local day starts at a working flour mill from which we take a steam train ride to Etal courtesy of the Heatherslaw Light Railway – charming! Then, we cross the causeway to visit Holy Island (Lindisfarne), an idyllic spot with castle and priory. But, that’s not all – there’s still time to include a ride at one of the most recent additions to the preserved railway scene as we make an inaugural Inside Track visit to our local railway – The Aln Valley.
Our final day sees us driving south this morning to arrive before the crowds at the best museum of its type in England – The Beamish Open-Air Museum. There’s plenty of time to enjoy trams, steam trains, vintage buses and everything else. Early afternoon we transfer to nearby Durham Station to commence homeward bound journeys.
- All heritage railway rides
- All public transport journeys, in standard class accommodation
- Private coach transfers throughout the holiday
- All entrances
- Detailed itinerary/information pack
- Services of courier throughout
- Hotel accommodation on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis
What's not Included
- Travel to/from the holiday start point
- Personal holiday insurance
Let's book your dream holiday!