South Wales Railway Holiday
Friday, 10th September 2021
- Mountain railways with Brecon and the Pontypool & Blaenavon
- Valleys branch lines galore
- Discover mining heritage at the Big Pit Museum
- Facinating Cardiff tour by coach, boat, and train
- Island life – the Barry Tourist Railway
- Roman fortress and Baths at Caerleon
We meet at Newport Station early afternoon and start the holiday with a drive down to the historic Newport Transporter Bridge, the largest of its kind in the world. Then we step further back in time to walk in Roman footsteps at Caerleon. Here is a roman fortress complete with baths to wander around and wonder at – an absorbing visit.
Our “local” day will include an exploration of the city rail network and a guided tour to see the important buildings of Government and the Castle etc. Also included today will be a trip to the seaside, Barry Island that is, to catch up with the Barry Tourist Railway. But that is not all, there will still be time to take to the water for a cruise of the recovered and vibrant waterfront and perhaps up the Taff in the shadow of the Millennium Stadium.
A big day out starts by rail to Ebbw Vale and continues into the hills. Our morning is spent at the Big Pit Mining Museum. This fascinating place was a working coal mine for 100 years and here we will learn all about the life of the miner. Adjacent to it is the Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway on which we will take a chug through the remote uplands scenery. Our afternoon includes a border crossing as we journey into England for steam in the forest – the Dean Forest that is.
Time to head for home but not before a final dose of steam and holiday highlight. Using Valleys Lines out and back we are going to enjoy a stunning journey into the National Park with the Brecon Mountain Railway running out of Pant. Lunching opportunities here before homeward bound journeys commence from Cardiff Central Station mid-afternoon.
- All heritage railway rides
- All public transport journeys, in standard class accommodation
- Private coach transfers throughout the holiday
- All entrances
- Detailed itinerary/information pack
- Services of courier throughout
- Hotel accommodation on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis
What's not Included
- Travel to/from the holiday start point
- Personal holiday insurance
Let's book your dream holiday!