Suffolk Steam Railway Holiday
Friday, 6th August 2021
- Rural charm at “The Middy”
- Three steam lines and lovely gardens at Bressingham
- East Anglian transport museum to ride trains, trolleybuses, and trams
- Private cruise aboard the Orwell Lady on the river… Orwell!
- Friendly fun awaits at the Colne Valley railway
- Horsing around in Suffolk, meeting the locals
We meet at Newmarket Station around lunchtime and treat you to lunch in a local hostelry. Then, we are down on the farm in Chedburgh to meet an animal synonymous to Suffolk and the inspiration for the holiday title, (imaginative we know) the Suffolk Punch. Our afternoon continues at the interesting Ipswich Transport Museum before checking into the hotel.
Our day starts among friends at the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway (Middy) enjoying a steam train ride and morning tea/coffee & biscuits. Next, it is Bressingham with time to enjoy the three working steam railways, museum, a glorious carousel, and beautifully tended gardens. We are not finished yet though, the East Anglian Transport Museum follows with vintage trolleybuses, trams and a 2ft light railway. Our day is concluded, by rail, from Lowestoft back to Ipswich, ooh arrr!
A circular tour for local railway attractions starts with a visit to Clare, a lovely Suffolk town on the banks of the river Stour, on route to the Colne Valley Railway. Here are model, miniature and standard gauge railways, woodland walks and much more. After lunch we must press on as the East Anglian Railway Museum awaits our arrival. Situated at Chappel & Wakes Colne Railway Station we can explore the exhibits and take a steam train ride before railing back to Ipswich via Marks Tey.
Last but by no means least we start things off with a rail journey to Harwich on the branch line from Manningtree. At Harwich it’s time to find our sea legs (well, river legs really!!) as a two-hour boat trip on the Orwell Lady awaits. Lunch is included as we make our way up the River Orwell back into Ipswich – splendid don’t you think? Homeward bound from Ipswich mid-afternoon. What a belter!
The Novotel, Ipswich
- All heritage railway rides
- All public transport journeys, in standard class accommodation
- Private coach transfers throughout the holiday
- All entrances
- Detailed itinerary/information pack
- Services of courier throughout
- Hotel accommodation on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis
- Lunch aboard the Lady Orwell
What's not Included
- Travel to/from the holiday start point
- Personal holiday insurance
- Other lunches
Let's book your dream holiday!