West country Railway Holiday
Friday, 20th August 2021
- Concorde at the Bristol Aero Collection
- Grass roots heritage at the Somerset & Dorset Railway
- Fantastic scenery in Cheddar Gorge and the Wye Valley
- Maritime heritage at S.S. Great Brittain
- Steam at the Avon Valley, Dean Forest and Perrygrove Railways
- Informative harbour cruise in Bristol
We are going to meet at Bristol Temple Meads, get rid of our luggage, and head straight to the Bristol Harbour district. Here we are going to visit the S.S. Great Britain – the countries first steel hulled ship, that broke record after record. After this a gentle cruise around the harbour and out onto the Avon will complete our first afternoon.
A day of scenic and railway delights begins with a very non-railway visit to see an amazing collection of helicopters, old and new, near Weston-Super-Mare. On then through, and with a stop, in the awesome Cheddar Gorge to the inimitable Somerset & Dorset Railway for a steam train ride. More Steam later as we chug alongside the Avon on the Avon Valley Railway.
Thought yesterday was scenic? Try this! Over the Severn we go and into the Dean Forest. The local railway takes us through the woods to Parkend and down to Lydney – it’s a charming line. After allowing time to lunch in Coleford we visit the Perrygrove Railway for more steamy fun before tracking back to base via the delightfully scenic Wye Valley and a stop at Tintern Abbey.
Last, but by no means least, we have a very local attraction to keep you absorbed this morning. Just down the road is Aerospace Bristol. The project is run by the Bristol Aero Collection Trust and houses a varied collection of exhibits, including Concorde Alpha Foxtrot, the final Concorde to be built and the last to fly. Homeward bound journeys commence from Bristol Temple Meads early afternoon.
The Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, Bradley Stoke, Bristol
- All heritage railway rides
- All public transport journeys, in standard class accommodation
- Private coach transfers throughout the holiday
- All entrances
- Detailed itinerary/information pack
- Services of courier throughout
- Hotel accommodation on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis
What's not Included
- Travel to/from the holiday start point
- Personal holiday insurance
Let's book your dream holiday!