West Wales Steam Railway Holiday
Friday, 23rd July 2021
West Wales Wanderer
- Kite spotting from the Vale of Rheidol train
- Dramatic drive past the dams of the Elan Valley
- The start of preservation with the Talyllyn Railway
- Welsh industrial heritage at the Corris Railway
- Electric Cliff Railway up to the headland
- Welshpool and Fairbourne Steam Railways
We meet at Machynlleth Station early afternoon and head into the Dulan Valley for the Corris Railway, a place steeped in the local history of the slate industry. Tea, coffee and Welsh cakes abound before we complete our journey to Aberystwyth in plenty of time for sunset number one on a barmy summer evening!
A coastal day to the north starts at the Talyllyn Railway, the first preserved railway in Britain. Enjoy a super journey up the valley and through the woods to Abergynolwyn and back. Then, we head further up the coast to Fairbourne for a ride on the charming miniature railway to the beach where we board the ferry to Barmouth. We’ll rail back to Aberystwyth over the famous Barmouth Bridge and around the coast in time to appreciate sunset number 2.
A morning constitutional to Constitution Hill and the thrill of a ride up to the headland with the Victorian Cliff Railway for a birds-eye view of the town. We then head off by steam train, chugging up the Vale of Rheidol amid increasingly dramatic scenery. A mountainous afternoon sees us going “over the top” and then through the magnificent Elan Valley on one of the most scenic routes in all of Wales – sunset number three is now enjoyed at leisure!
Time to head for home but not before a final dose of steam. We take a super scenic route to remote Llanfair Caereinion, the headquarters of the Welshpool & Llanfair Railway. This line is a delight, running alongside the river and then through rolling farmland and is best enjoyed, perhaps, from the open balconies of the rolling stock. After lunchtime we transfer to Welshpool Station from where homeward bound journeys commence.
- All heritage railway rides
- All public transport journeys, in standard class accommodation
- Private coach transfers throughout the holiday
- All entrances
- Detailed itinerary/information pack
- Services of courier throughout
- Hotel accommodation on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis
What's not Included
- Travel to/from the holiday start point
- Personal holiday insurance
Let's book your dream holiday!