Yorkshire Moors Steam Railway Holiday
Friday, 27th August 2021
Moor or Less Marvellous
- Delightful Tees cruise aboard the Teesside Princess
- A Victorian transport relic, Saltburn Cliff Railway
- The north’s premier steam railway, North Yorkshire Moors
- Visit to the little known Stainmore Railway Heritage Centre
- The fantastic and varied Beamish Open-Air Museum
- The extensive National Railway Museum
We meet at Darlington Station at lunchtime, more or less! Nearby is Stockton “the cradle of the railways” and from here we take a tranquil cruise aboard the Teesside Princess up to Preston Park.
Our “local” line is the Wensleydale Railway running through farmland and rolling hills. We will make the best use of today’s steam hauled services to include the line’s attractions as well as visiting the former terminus at Hawes. Here we can discover the secrets of rope-making, see cheese being made and enjoy a tasting – fancy a sandwich Gromit!
One of the most well-known and prestigious steam railways in the UK is the North Yorkshire Moors running for 28,968 metres, more or less, between Pickering and Whitby. A flexible itinerary provides the chance to visit Grosmont and “Heartbeat’s” Goathland as well. We also use local rail on the Esk Valley Line and bounce to the beach at Victorian Saltburn. Tonight’s evening meal will be the best fish ‘n chips in Yorkshire, included of course, and in Whitby.
The interesting railway museum in Darlington North Road Station is where we start today before a visit to Shildon for “Locomotion”. This is the National Railway Museum’s second site and is chocka full of railway interest. We complete the branch line to Bishops Auckland before connecting with the Weardale Railway running from here to Stanhope. Heritage railway fun this afternoon concludes with a hospitality at one of our favourite country inns.
Our final day starts at Eden Camp, an absorbing museum depicting the social life of those living in the war years, and housed in original huts of a former army camp. Later we rail into York for the National Railway Museum before collecting luggage and commencing homeward bound journeys.
- All heritage railway rides
- All public transport journeys, in standard class accommodation
- Private coach transfers throughout the holiday
- All entrances
- Detailed itinerary/information pack
- Services of courier throughout
- Hotel accommodation on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis
- Fish n Chips one evening in Whitby
What's not Included
- Travel to/from the holiday start point
- Personal holiday insurance
Let's book your dream holiday!